Health & Safety
The prevention of accidents and ill health is one of the most important functions of Management because:
- We do not want any employee or other person to suffer as a result of our work.
- We intend to comply with all Health and Safety legislation.
- We recognise that accidents, unsafe and unhealthy working conditions can be a considerable drain on the financial resources of the Company and demonstrates a lack of efficiency in the business.
This document has, therefore, been prepared to define the way that the Company intends to manage health and safety and to meet the requirements of Section 2 (3) of The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 which requires an employer to prepare a statement of general policy with respect to the health and safety of employees, others not in their employment but for whom they are responsible, and the organisation and arrangement set up to carry out the policy.
It has been drawn up taking into account the general duties of The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 which are simply summarised as follows ( note that this is not a legal interpretation of the Act):
- The employer must ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the health and safety at work of his employees and others not in his employment but for whom he is responsible by providing:
- a safe system of work.
- safe plant and equipment
- safe means of handling and transporting articles and substances.
- adequate training, instruction, information and supervision.
- a safe place of work with safe access and egress from the place of work.
- Employees must look after their own health and safety and ensure that they do not endanger others. They must also co-operate with the employer to assist in meeting statutory requirements. No person must recklessly or willfully interfere with anything provided for health and safety.
Failure to comply with these duties or to breach any of the specific Regulations for health and safety can lead to Prohibition or Improvement Notices which will interfere with the progress of work and / or prosecution of the Company, individual Partners or employees with substantial fines and for certain offences, imprisonment.